Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Boys of Fall


 I saw a movie this weekend that was based on a true story  (and a book) about a football team in Concord, CA: When the Game Stands Tall. From 1992 to 03, the De La Salle Spartans, coached by Bob Ladouceur, did not lose, not one game in 12 years making for a 151 game winning streak! 
 
The movie picks up where the streak ends…just before the team’s first heartbreaking loss. It’s a little cheezy and clichéd, but no one can deny this coach, and his team-building legacy are an incredible, real-life demonstration of an inspirational leader.
 
Ladouceur says he was never concerned with the wins or the streak, but rather with building his team into men who could be depended on in their life after high school. The sorts of employees many managers are scrambling to find every day.
 
Coach Lad (as they call him) stood for more than winning, he stood for commitment, accountability and love among his team. He is described as cerebral in his coaching style, in sharp contrast to coaches who may be more intimidating in their techniques.
 
"Preparation is a high priority," Ladouceur said. "I tell the boys that in order to succeed you have to be working to get yourself into a position where success is possible.
 
He never expected perfect games, but rather requested players to give  their personal best, what he called a “perfect effort” during each game.
 
The night before a game, the players wrote down their goals for the game on a commitment card, and shared them aloud with the other players, pledging their goals to a particular teammate. The goals were always challenging, but attainable; and the week after the game teammates were responsible for following up on the goals that had been pledged to them.
 
A few member of the De La Salle teams from 2003 and 2004 have shared their look back on high school football and their time with Coach Lad, 10 years later.
 
"My experience playing football at De La Salle taught me how important work ethic, accountability, and mental toughness is in succeeding. To this day, I find these three traits to have the biggest impact on my successes and failures." – Chris Biller
 
"I know that my time at De La Salle is what set me up for success. I learned how to push myself to accomplish things I never thought possible, both individually and as part of a team. Being pushed to act with integrity and unwavering determination on and off the football field made this possible. These high expectations are what set DLS apart, in my opinion, and I wouldn't be the man I am today without having gone there.” – Britt Cecil
 
"DLS taught me important life lessons I believe will make you successful: accountability, respect, the ability to make a commitment, always being committed to hard work, and understanding the importance of being a quality teammate." – Steven Fujimoto
 
Whether they are football players, or customer service reps, or investment professionals; teams that are willing to sacrifice, commit, and hold each other accountable are fighting for a bigger mission and shared vision -- winning will be a byproduct. 

No comments: